This past Tuesday was the annual Oil Capitals Awards Banquet. The evening started with a cocktail and mingling hour, followed by a delicious supper, speeches, awards presentation and a live auction. There were over 250 people in attendance. It was a wonderful night had by all! Here is a recap of the evening.
Master of Ceremonies, Ryan Potter (Goalie Coach of the Virden Oil Capitals). Ryan did a great job hosting the night, telling jokes and introducing all of our speakers.
GM/Head Coach Tyson Ramsey, presented an amazing speech on the 2019/20 season we’ve had thus far. He talked about what it has been like as his first year as Head Coach, and the great appreciation he has for the community of Virden, and partners for all of their support throughout the season. He went on to thank his Assistant Coach, Reid Gow, for what his enthusiasm and dedication has brought to the team this year. He also thoroughly thanked the rest of the coaching staff, and personnel off the ice, for all of their work they do on a daily basis. Lastly, Tyson sent a heartfelt thank-you to all of the players for being such a great group of boys to get to work with every day, and all of the demands and hard work that goes with playing Junior hockey.
Kevin Saurette, the new commissioner for the Manitoba Junior Hockey League, came up to the podium next to speak about his former life as a professional hockey player. He discussed all of his personal experiences, accomplishments, and furthermore, his failures and injuries, and how a positive thought process and outlook is so important in hockey. He communicated about the hardships of the game and how it can be a “cut-throat” business. He deliberated about his time playing hockey throughout University while obtaining his education, and going on to play overseas in Europe.
Kolten Kanaski, Captain of the Oil Capitals, emphasized about his time playing hockey in Virden for the last four years. He thanked all of the coaching staff, teammates and billets, and how he will truly miss living in Virden.
The speeches ended with a surprise gesture from all of the mothers of the Oil Caps! They all went up together to express a huge gratitude to our Billet Coordinator/ Office Manager, Teresa Heritage, for always taking such good care of their boys, and for all of her dedication she puts into the team behind the scenes, each and every day. They awarded her with a gift basket filled with goodies!
Awards Handed Out:
Ultimately the awards handed out is what the awards banquet is all about. Below is the list of awards, and this year’s winners.
- Twin Valley Coop 3 Star Award – presented by Dwayne Moncur
- Recipient – Kolton Kanaski & Hunter Cloutier
- McNeill, Harasymchuk, McConnell Attorneys Top Scorer Award – presented by Jeff McConnell
- Recipient – Kolten Kanaski (63 points as of now) & Hunter Cloutier (64 points as of now)
- Gardwine Hardest Working Player Award – presented by Phil Mus
- Recipient – Owen Blocker
- Fountain Tire Fan Choice Award – presented by Mandy Taylor
- Recipient – Jackson Orr
- Wallace District Fire Department “Unsung Hero” Award – presented by Brad Yochim
- Recipients – Tanner Andrew
- The Alexandria Hotel Most Improved Player Award – presented by Gord Holowaty
- Recipient – Jack Einarson
- Black Gold Trucking Top Defensive Player – presented by Dallas George
- Recipient – Josh Belcher
- CIBC Most Sportsmanlike Player Award – presented by Shelby Rampton
- Recipient – Brett Paddock & Hunter Cloutier
- Sunrise Community Minded Award – presented by Paula Brazil
- Recipient – Jackson Orr
- Cross Plumbing & Heating Top Defenseman Award – presented by Christine Cross
- Recipient – Jayden Wojciechowski
- GCS Energy Services Rookie of The Year Award – presented by Jim Moser
- Recipients – Hunter Andrew
- Virden Footwear Team MVP Award – presented by Tyson Ramsey & Reid Gow on behalf of Clayton Murray
- Recipients – Kolten Kanaski & Jayden Wojciechowski
The evening was capped off by the hockey club recognizing the five-20 year old’s on the team; Kolten Kanaski, Jayden Wojciechowski, Ethan Peterson, Darren Gisti and Jaxon Heeney, and they all received team gifts and their game worn jerseys at the years end.
The finality was the team’s annual jersey auction, presented by Heartland Livestock. The hockey club wants to say a heart-felt thank you to all involved and who partook in the jersey auction. The auction raised over $11,000 to the Oil Capitals Organization!
U of M Ben Dalke Jersey – Cheryl Foster
U of M Dylan Thiessen – Tricia Forster
Beverage Basket – Verlie Bryant
Hillberg & Berk Earrings – Marilyn Jacobson
Vegas Knights signed Zach Whitecloud Jersey – Brad Yochim
Oil Capitals Merchandise – Frankie Good
Oil Capitals Retro Jersey – Irene Kanaski