A fun filled evening was had by all in attendance.
Master of Ceremonies, Craig Davidson (Director on the Virden Oil Capitals Board of Directors), welcomed Director of Business and Hockey Operations for the Hockey Club, Jamie Hodson to open the evening up.
Jamie Hodson went on to thank all in attendance, and whom has affiliations with the team; player’s, staff, billets, fans, partners and alike. Hodson discussed the importance and the integrity that the organization holds in the community and the standard in which the players are expected to withhold both on and off the ice. Hodson discussed how proud the organization is of the players and the team alike, of the season the team is having on and off the ice.
GM/Head Coach Troy Leslie, discussed what was the season on the ice, and the opportunity that lays before the team as they enter the playoffs. Leslie thanked the rest of the coaching staff, Tyson Ramsey for his work with this players, and personnel off the ice as well. Leslie thanked the players for buying in to what the expectations are on the ice and for being understanding of the demands that the team expects from its players.
Leah Hextall came up to the podium next and wowed all whom were in attendance. Hextall touched upon the trials and tribulations of her career as a sports broadcaster. Leah reiterated that any dream and “goal” is possible, if the belief and the work ethic is there to accomplish it. Hextall touched upon her hockey upbringing and the sacrifices it takes to be successful in life in accomplishing your highest desires. Hextall touched upon different athletes she has worked with in the past, and what makes them successful, such as Tom Brady.
Ben Dalke, Captain of the Oil Capitals, emphasized to the players that the time to play Junior hockey slips away quickly, and to not take this playoff run for granted. Dalke thanked his teammates, coaching staff, and billets for a great 4 seasons here to date in Virden.
Jason Taylor ended off the speeches portion of the evening with a great throwback to what being a Junior hockey player in the 80’s was all about. Taylor discussed the desire and effort it takes to accomplish a goal and to stick with it. Taylor went on to reiterate the different moments in his life, when he understood that if you want to be the best, you have to think you can play with the best. Taylor emphasized to the players that you are always playing for each other, no matter what. Taylor added that no matter the individual in the room, these are the guys that will be your colleagues for the rest of your life, so play for each other these playoffs.
Awards Handed Out:
Ultimately the awards handed out is what the awards banquet is all about. Below is the list of awards, and the winners.
- Twin Valley Coop 3 Star Award – presented by Dwayne Moncur
- Recipient – Ben Dalke
- McNeill, Harasymchuk, McConnell Attorneys Top Scorer Award – presented by Jeff McConnell
- Recipient – Kolten Kanaski (as of this weekend with 62 points)
- Davidson Truck & Tractor Award – presented by Todd Davidson
- Recipient – Brett Paddock
- Fountain Tire Fan Choice Award – presented by Mandy Taylor
- Recipient – Riley Wallace
- Wallace District Fire Department Unsung Hero Award – presented by Brad Yochim
- Recipients – Brock Shwaluk and Blake Sidoni
- The Alexandria Hotel Most Improved Player Award – presented by Gord Holowaty
- Recipient – Tristan Thompson
- Black Gold Trucking Top Defensive Player – presented by Dallas George
- Recipient – Logan Rands
- CIBC Most Sportsmanlike Player Award – presented by Shelby Rampton
- Recipient – Ben Dalke
- Sunrise Community Minded Award – presented by Gene Pelachaty
- Recipient – Parker Brakebill
- Cross Plumbing & Heating Top Defenseman Award – presented by Christine Cross
- Recipient – Tristen Cross
- GCS Energy Services Rookie of The Year Award – presented by Jacy Whyte on behalf of Justin Tindall
- Recipients – Logan Rands and Tanner Andrew
- Virden Footwear Team MVP Award – presented by Jamie Hodson, Troy Leslie, and Tyson Ramsey on behalf of Clayton Murray
- Recipients – Ben Dalke and Kolten Kanaski
The evening was capped off by the hockey club recognizing the five-20 year old’s on the team; Blake Sidoni, Ben Dalke, Tanner Mckechnie, Brock Shwaluk, and Tristen Cross all received team gifts and their game worn jerseys at the years end.
The finality was the team’s annual jersey auction. The hockey club wants to say thanks to all involved and who partook in the jersey auction. The auction raised over $10,500 to the Oil Capitals Organization.
Beverage Basket – Michelle Wojciechowski
Tyler Kirkup Jersey – Barry Hutchison
Hillberg & Berk Earrings – Darlene Dosch
Zach Whitecloud Jersey – Tricia Forster
Dish Garden from Virden Flower Attic – Marcel Chacun
Fargo Force Justin Lee ¼ Zip – Noreen Thompson
4 Rounds at Wellview Golf Club Virden – Jeff McConnell
Wyatt Kalynuk Jersey – Gord Holowaty