The Virden Oil Capitals went up against the Waywayseecappo Wolverines in Virden at Tundra Oil and Gas Place in the Valleyview Co-op Home Opener.
To start the evening off, the doors opened at 6:30 and the fans started to roll in, filling the stands and cheering on the Oil Caps! The day that everyone had been waiting for had finally arrived… the HOME OPENER to officially start the hockey season! With tons of excitement in the atmosphere and anticipation of a new season the PUCK . WAS . DROPPED.
Celebrating the Virden Oil Capitals 10th Season with a ceremonial puck drop, in attendance we had…
- Team Governor since 2012…….Bob Berry
- Local business partner with Valleyview Co-op……….Greg Gill
- Billet families since 2012………Perry and Tara Meikle, Ian and Elaine Glendinning, Murray and Cheryl Foster and Greg and Cathy Tough
- Season Ticket holder since 2012 and Mayor of Virden……..Murray Wright
- Oil Caps Alumni……… Dylan Thiessen, Ben Dalke, Brock Shwaluk, Kolten Kanaski, Hunter Cloutier and Owen Blocker
For the duration of the 1st period Oil Capitals Tyler Thoendel started the scoring off at 8:24 assisted by Braden Fischer and Jackson Orr.
Braden Fischer scored the Oil Capitals second goal of the night towards the end of the first period, leaving the score 2-0 for Virden.
Score remained 2-0 for Virden at the end of the second frame with no goals scored.
In the third period the Oil Caps fell behind quickly with Wayway hammering in 5 goals to end the game 5-2 for Wayway.
Your Virden Oil Capitals head to Waywayseecappo today for a rematch. 7:30 puck drop.
Next home action is Sept. 25th at Tundra Oil and Gas Place against the Waywayseecappo Wolverines. Puck Drop is 7:30pm or you can watch it on HockeyTV!
GO CAPS GO!