The Oil Capitals took another loss after a tough game in Selkirk. The Steelers kicked off the scoring in the first period scoring one just under 10 minutes in. Selkirk scored another late in the period, on the power play, for an early 2-0 lead after the first period. Virden cut the lead in half in the second period to make the score 2-1. Selkirk took back a 2 goal lead just 41 seconds later, scoring their third of the game to make the score 3-1. Virden took advantage of a power play to score just 2 minutes later to shorten Selkirk’s lead to 1, with the score at 3-2, and staying that way for the remainder of the period. The third period kicked off with an early goal from Selkirk extending their lead back to 2 with a score of 4-2. Selkirk scored another goal, taking advantage of a power play. This was the final goal of the game and made the final score 5-2.

The first period started with Selkirk’s Blake Burr scoring his second at 8:48, putting the Steelers up 1-0. Late in the first the Steelers took advantage of the power play, with Brett Namaka scoring his fifth at 17:53, putting Selkirk up 2-0 after the first period. 

The second period started with Hunter Andrew scoring his second unassisted at 13:42. That cut the Steelers lead in half, making the score 2-1. Selkirk’s Caiden Gualt scored his fourth just 41 seconds later at 14:23. This put Selkirk up 3-1. Oil Capital’s Brett Paddock scored his second of the season on the power play at 16:28. This put Virden closer with the score at the end of the second period being 3-2.

The third period started off early with Selkirk’s Brett Namaka scoring his second of the game, sixth of the season, at 3:44 making the score 4-2 for the Steelers. Selkirk took advantage of another power play, with Carter Barley scoring his fourth of the season at 11:46. With that being the final goal of the game that made the final score of the game 5-2 for the Steelers. 

Selkirk’s Levi Mitchell picked up the win stopping 24 0f 26 shots for a save percentage of 92.3%. Virden’s Riley Wallace took the loss, saving 21 of 26 shots for a save percentage of 80.8%.

Head Coach Tyson Ramsey had this to say after the game, “I thought we started the game ok but certainly in the middle part of the game we didn’t compete hard enough. We were too inconsistent to have much success and add to that the fact that we were very very undisciplined makes it tough to gather any momentum. We will get back to hard work at practice today and get prepared for a very good Wayway team tomorrow night. We will need a good response from our group.”


Next Home Game : Thursday Oct. 10th vs Wayway