Weekend Recap

January 9,2017

The Oil Capitals had a busy weekend playing two games on the road Friday and Saturday. The Caps squared off against the Winnipeg Blues Friday night looking to get back into the win column but fell short with a 4-3 loss.  The Capitals outshot the Blues 28-16 but it wasn’t enough to move past the Blues. Virden Oil Capitals assistant coach Carter Duffin said, “We knew we were in a tough spot playing two games in two nights on the road. We needed to put ourself in a situation where we could get points in both games. We weren’t able to capitalize after outshooting Winnipeg and let off the gas pedal against Selkirk. Both of these games highlight the competitive nature of the league where any team can steal points if we don’t play 60 minutes.” 

The Blues opened up the scoring with a short-handed goal at 2:00 in the first period with a goal from Geordie Keane assisted by Noah King. The Caps answered back quickly with a goal from Jeran Knorr at 3:16 assisted by Kyle Salaway and Carter Cowlthorp to tie the game 1-1. At the end of the first period, the Caps were tied 1-1 with the Blues. The shots on goal were 6-4 in favour of the Capitals. 

The second period the Blues found the back of the net early with a goal at 2:13 on the powerplay with a goal from Joel MacGillivray assisted by Michael Forseth and Geordie Keane to take the lead 2-1. The Blues stretched the lead to 3-1 at 4:15 with a goal from Levi Cudmore assisted by Matt LeBianc and Dexter Kuczek. One more time this period the Blues would put one up on the board with a goal from Geordie Keane assisted by Adam Wowryk and Brenden Bartlett, 4-1 Blues. Tristen Cross cut the lead to two at 18:45 assisted by Carter Cowlthorp and Kyle Salaway. At the end of the second period, the Caps were trailing by two. The shots on goal were 10-9 for the Caps. 

The third period the Capitals dominated the Blues outshooting them 12-3 but were only able to find the back of the net once. The Caps closed the gap at 17:53 with a goal from Kirklan Lycar assisted by Marco Creta and Ben Dalke, 4-3 Blues.  At the end of 60 minutes of play, it was 4-3 Blues. 

The Caps took on the Selkirk Steelers on Saturday, falling to a 4-2 loss. The Caps went 1 for 2 (50%) on the power play while the Steelers went 2 for 7 (28.6%). 

The first period the Caps got on the board first with a goal from Carter Cowlthorp at 12:15 on the power play assisted by Tristen Cross and Sam Schultz. After the first period of play the Caps were in the lead 1-0 and the shots on goal were 10-9 for the Caps. 

The second period the Caps went ahead by two with a goal from Tyler Kirkup at 9:16 assisted by Kiklan Lycar and Sam Schultz. The Steelers, Ezra Hall scored a power play goal at 19:34 assisted by Liam Kroeker and Mark Wilson. After 40 minutes of play, the Caps were in the lead 2-1 and shots on goal were 11-7 for the Steelers. 

The third period was all Steelers as they got on the board with another power play goal from Ryan Gardiner at 4:19 assisted by Nathan Halvorsen and Ezra hall. The game was tied 2-2 with under three minutes left on the clock when Selkirk Steelers Shannan McFadden scored to take the lead 3-2 assisted by Brady Castellano and Branden Lozinski. The Steelers sealed the win with an empty-net goal from Braden Lozinski at 19:35 assisted by Connor Barley and Dallas Starodub.  The Final shots on goal were 34-21 for the Steelers. 


 1st STAR

 2nd STAR

 3rd STAR

Selkirk Steelers

Ezra Hall

Selkirk Steelers

Braden Lozinski

Virden Oil Capitals

Carter Cowlthorp

The Caps next action is at home Friday, January 13th against the Selkirk Steelers – 7:30 pm puck drop!